I am worried about my parent or friend, what can i do?

If you are worried about the mental or physical health or behaviour of your parent/carer or friend, it is important that you speak to somebody about it.

You can:

  • Talk to a teacher or member of staff at school or college about your concerns
  • Speak to another relative who lives at home or who you know well
  • Speak to your parent/carer’s health or social worker if they have one
  • Contact ChildLine for help and advice on 0800 1111
  • Call the police

My parent/carer has a mental illness

Growing up with a parent/carer who has a mental illness can be challenging. It can mean that you take on responsibilities at home that your friends don’t. It can also mean that your home life can get disrupted and you don’t always know how well your parent is when you come home from school or college.

It might mean you see your parent/carer say or do things that are worrying and frightening or confusing. You are not alone with this experience and it is good to tell someone you trust about your experiences and they may be able offer you support.

Depending on your situation you may be able to access Young Carers - a support group where you can meet other young people with similar experiences and challenges.

You might also want to speak to a teacher or someone you trust at school or college about your concerns and experiences.

I am worried about my friend what can I do?

If you are worried about a friend, it’s best to share this with somebody so your friend can get help. You could:

  • Ask your friend how they are and tell them you are worried about them
  • Talk to your friend and encourage them to speak to their parents/carers, a teacher or someone at school or college, or go to see their doctor
  • Contact ChildLine for help and advice on 0800 1111