Information for parents or carers

Are you worried about you child?

Having a child or young person in your family with mental health issues is difficult and challenging for any parent. At Forward Thinking Birmingham we will do everything we can to put you at ease and ensure that your child gets the best possible and most appropriate care for their needs.

Every child or young person is different and may require different services. This section will guide you through each step you need to take as parent, from your initial concerns, being referred to our service and what happens if your child is being admitted to hospital.

I’m worried about someone in my family

If you are concerned about a child or young person in your care, there are a number of things you can do:

  • Talk to them - Try to find out what is upsetting them. Is it school, work, home or friends? 
  • Talk to a professional who knows your situation - This could be someone from school or college, your GP, social worker or health visitor (if you have one). Discuss whether the child or young person would benefit from an appointment at Forward Thinking Birmingham.
  • Contact our Access Centre for support and advice - You can discuss your concerns, receive advice and, if necessary, find out how a referral can be made.  
  • Discuss the possibility of external support - Depending on their age talk to the child, young person or young adult about receiving help from someone outside of the family, maybe think about visiting Pause.
  • Take a look at our resources and links to other services - You will find details of charities and other organisations that can provide you with additional information and support.

If you have concerns about a specific issue or condition, see our concerning behaviours section to learn more about them and find out where you can go to get help.